Banana Snickerdoodle Cookies

Photo credit: Amy Scerra
“Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it.”


“Non-cooks think it's silly to invest two hours work in two minutes enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet.”

I just love these two quotes by Julia Child. After making this next recipe for various friends, I have learned not only am I passionate about Snickerdoodle anything, but I truly enjoy cooking.... As if this is to anyone's surprise. I really do take joy in the whole process. From mixing the batter, to letting a friend or family member take the first bite.

I made two batches of cookies, one followed the recipe exactly, and they turned out deliciously. 

On the second try, I substituted 2 sticks of butter for the shortening. Partly because I was out of shortening and far too lazy to get to the store. But also because most people have butter ready at hand, rather than shortening. I want these recipes to be delicious AND simple. 

The cookies made with butter came out tasting even better!! 

The only downside, is the batter is harder to work with when rolling it in the cinnamon sugar mix. It's sticky and fairly wet. 

If you can trudge through this little inconvenience during the process, I think you'll end up with a yummier outcome! 

The banana is not used as much for flavor, but to keep the cookies soft and chewy. There is a hint of banana flavor, which just adds to the dimension of each bite. Enjoy!!

Photo credit: Amy Scerra
Banana Snickerdoodle Cookies
Adapted from Noble Pig

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon cream of tartar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar, plus more for dipping
2 eggs
1 ripe banana
Ground cinnamon for dipping

In a medium bowl, sift flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl cream shortening and sugar; about 2 minutes. Add eggs and banana, mix well. Add flour mixture and mix until blended.

Once the dough is mixed it will be very wet. Use a Tablespoon sized scoop to drop balls into cinnamon-sugar. (I used about 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon). The dough becomes very easy to work with once dipped in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Roll into balls and bake on a non-greased cookie sheet or silicone baking sheet at 400 degrees for 9 minutes. Cool cookies on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container and they will stay soft for several days.


Photo credit: Amy Scerra
Photo credit: Amy Scerra

Comments

Maura McMillan said…
Holy crap girl those look amazing AND I love your photos!
M. said…
one of the MANY reasons I can't wait until you move here. nudge, nudge... wink, wink.
Ashley Allred said…
Looks yummy, I think I'll have to try them! I know what you mean about baking/cooking...I love it too. Maybe it runs in the fam??? ;)
these look sooooo amazing my mouth was watering just from the description. You are gonna be the best wifey in the world! YUM!!!!!!!!!

Popular Posts