Running Goals


This is sorta how I felt this morning at the gym. I've been incorporating strength training into my running regimen more lately. I'm trying to train my muscles for speed, along with endurance. If you're just visiting the blog for the first time (Hi!) I tore my meniscus during a jog about 1.5 years ago, and finally got surgery on it in April of this year. It's been a bumpy road of physical therapy, re-spraining it, slowly getting back in the gym, and finally, buying some brand new running shoes.

I'm doing low-weight, high-reps to strengthen my muscles back up. It's amazing how much they atrophy when not using them consistently. My goal is small, but do-able right now. I want to run a 5K. Anyone want to join? I want to build my speed up first though. Actually run it.

I have some ultra-marathoner friends (100 mile marathons and higher. crrrazy!) who I'm hoping will give me small-fry runner tips. 

Anyone else have tips to increase my speed and/or endurance? Right now, I am able to run about an  hour at a time without my knee hurting too badly. It's a definite improvement from where I've been, and I'm taking it one run at a time, increasing my time 2 minutes (or more if I'm feeling spunky) per day. Progress....slowly....But still progress.

Tips? Tricks? Workout ideas?

Comments

madilla said…
The puppy is adorable!
Unknown said…
Cute photo! Lol. Hmmm well I'm not a huge runner, but my brother is one of those crazy ultra marathoners (yuck! He he). I would say for sure get fitted for running shoes . . . the right shoe will make a huge difference on your body! Also I hear those running socks are actually really good for your body as well:-) Good luck girly!!!
Bonnie said…
I'm not a big runner. I used to be. I loved running and would knock out about 12-16 miles a week. Now I focus on weightlifting and cardio. If you ever need tips or inspiration, come to me!! I am a total gym rat.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88
Courtney B said…
Oh girl, you are SO awesome! Keep it up!
And you need to totally do a 5k! I'm crazy and skipped the 5k and am going straight for the 10k.. ah! And it's on Saturday! But if I can do it (Trust me, I'll barely be able to do it haha) you can do it! :)
Meggan said…
this picture is hysterical, i love it! i have not exercised in forever but when i do i try to do pilates or something that inolves low weight because i am not that strong! LOL xo
That is the cutest picture ever!!!

And so impressive that you are getting back to working out. I tore three ligaments in my ankle, had surgery, PT, etc. and never got back into working out so that is AWESOME that you are doing it!

Hope you had a great Monday! XOXO, Stephanie @ Blonde Highlights
Ivana said…
That photo is sooo adorable! I´m sorry to hear about your knee issues, I hope everything will be fine in next to no time!
Good luck sweetie!

xx Ivana
Style in the City
Elle Sees said…
I cannot run at all. Never have been able to, but I wanna do that couch to 5k program. Maybe I need the couch to lace up shoes program first!
Sounds like you've already been through a lot to get to where you are, so I'm sure you'll be able to reach your goal! If you're determined to do it, you'll find a way. Speed is what I need to start working on too... so I'll be joining the local running club - hopefully they'll have some tips!

Popular Posts