Heroes In Our Midst

My Papa. Also known as Dad, to my own Father. Within the last 5 years, Papa has unexpectedly opened up about his military service with the United States Army. I'm not certain an outsider can really comprehend the trauma one must have endured, resulting in selective silence for over 50 years.

Papa is a veteran of WWII and of the 5th United States Army. His paratrooper units followed him, blindly leaping into the dark German nights. Once they landed, he guided them as they disappeared into deep enemy territory. He acted as a GPS device of sorts, as he tracked down, then relayed reconnaissance data on German troop locations, and future location strategy. Speaking both Italian and English, he was utilized by both the American military and Italian military.

My Papa is also a POW. After an ambush, he and his cornered fellow soldiers were captured by the Germans. After a week in prison, my Papa escaped, along with his fellow soldiers. One of the men in their group had contracted Malaria, and was unable to continue on his own. My Papa refused to leave him behind as the others demanded. My Papa carried this man on his back for 5 days until they reached safety.

My most recent visit home to New York yielded more than his still-tender war stories. Papa showed us his Medals. To think he had stashed these slowly tarnishing symbols of heroism, courage and bravery in an Army green lunch box.

I never knew he had earned the Purple Heart...

A medal from the Italian Allies, as a thank you for Papa's service.

During his imprisonment, a German Officer took this medal off his jacket and gave it my Papa. The Officer went on to admit that he liked Americans, and was grateful for our presence.


"Prayers for Every Day".....


A new found appreciation for the value of a year's time.... He kept this count on the last page of his Bible.

And last, my favorite photo... Married to my Grandma Anne right before he deployed. Even today, he is still just as madly in love with her....

Thank you Papa, and Thank you to every past, present and future service member! Your sacrifice does not go unnoticed.

"To really live, you must almost die.To those who fight for it, life has a meaning the protected will never know".

Comments

What a great post! What an amazing honor.
Oh Amy! What a wonderful thing to have shared with you. ::sniff, sniff::

Popular Posts