Apples For Christmas

I was so happy to make it home to New York, although it was only for 3 days. I cherished every second with the family even more. Except when it was time to do a little Christmas present shopping. Then I promptly kicked them to the curb so I could try to pick out some gifts I knew they'd enjoy. On my way home from the mall, which, by the way, was so crowded the day before I arrived to New York, people sat in 5 hour long traffic just to exit the mall. MADNESS, PEOPLE! What in the world would lead someone to sit in traffic for 5 hours in a mall parking lot?! I would re-park my car, walk inside the mall, and find the nearest Mrs. Fields cookie store. I also found it humorous that people waited for 3 hours before calling the police. Now THAT is patience of gold. I probably would have been on the phone to my nearest highway patrolman after 30 minutes of idling time....

Anyways, after that huge, long tangent.... I stopped at a local apple farmer's market on the way home. One of the amazing joys of growing up in Upstate New York, is the availability of incredible produce. I always loved the layout of this particular store. I feel transported back to the 19th century, and secretly wish my life was sometimes as simplified as an apple farmer's. Not that their lives are easy, just less filled to the brim with fluff....Not that my life is fluffy, I have substance....Ok, nevermind. Hopefully you get my bizarre point. I'm jet lagged, give me a break.

I couldn't help but take pictures of the New York apple crop. People looked at me funny at first. But then, a few of them saw the same beauty I saw. They started to comment on how pretty the rows of apples looked, but had never thought to take pictures. I guess we're all alike in that way. The more often we see, or the closer proximity we are to beautiful things, sometimes we unfortunately take them for granted, and neglect to appreciate. I will consciously strive never to be that way, in any aspect of my life.

Here are some photos from my Christmas vacation to the apple fields..... Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!


The fields just outside the Farmers Market

Comments

Unknown said…
I love NY!!! Late Fuji apples are the BEST! Thank you for introducing me! SO HAPPY YOU WERE HERE!!!
Anonymous said…
You know, none of our apples went to a farmers market. All our apples were under contract with a company. But there were a couple we'd sell peaches to in the summer. We'd also have some of our peaches and canteloupe in various Wegmans and Topps around the area.
Brooke said…
what kind of camera do you have? Your pictures are so pretty! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. My kids really enjoyed themselves, and it is so much fun being able to watch their excitement.
Oooh, is that Schutts?! I miss that place, and the apples from NY.

Popular Posts