Vegas Nostalgia



So, I'm going to Vegas this weekend for my birthday. It's a kinda big birthday, and I don't know why I'm feeling anxious about it. It's not because of my birthday....I know that. I haven't ever really had that age-anxiety thing. 

I went to college in Las Vegas. I was 20 years old when I moved there, and I left when I was 25. Many, many crazy, insane, unbelievable, incredible, once-in-a-lifetime, wow moments during those years. 


So, is it hard for anywhere else to compare? Yes. But I'm ok with that. There is a season for everything in life, and where I'm at now, is where I want to be. Life is pretty darn good. :)


However. Every time I go back to Vegas, I have these weird feelings!! Like anything I experience there now will never measure up, and it will start to replace the great memories I made there during my early 20's. So negative, I know!! I always get over it once I get there. But in preparation for the trip, these are the things I think about.

In my head, Vegas meant amazing friends, prime experiences and unrestricted access. 

omg we were so young. and dumb.

totally. totally. totally random night.


When I go back now, I realize how few of my friends still live there, the connections we had at each club and at every velvet rope have moved on....and it's freakin expensive!! 

I leave after 2-3 days and ask myself how I ever lived there? I don't want to look at it that way. I want to remember how it felt to love Vegas. To get homesick for it when I left. To feel that buzz of excitement flying home to the desert valley, looking out my airplane window to see the Strip blinking and flashing on the horizon.


So, this trip. This birthday, will be different. No more comparisons. I'll just relax and enjoy everything Vegas delivers, which is always bound to be over the top. 

It also doesn't hurt that Deadmau5 will be there..... oh yahhh.


Comments

Newport Beach said…
Wow! I never thought so much about Vegas. Most of the 1000+ times there I have crawled out of there hoping to forget the 24-48 hours spent with my alter ego.
I know you have so many amazing memories of that place and it seems fitting you will spend your 30th bday there. Since I am old, I can offer you some advice. Start that next chapter (your 30's),but make sure the story continues and builds off those great memories.
Have a very happy birthday! I wish I could be there with you.
M. said…
so, so, so glad you had a good time. I miss and love you dearly!

Popular Posts