what worries you?

photo credit

Do you ever experience that conflicting inner dialogue where you essentially guilt yourself into undesirable/unnecessary situations because you're telling yourself you "have-to-do-it"?

"I have go to dinner tonight with _____ . Even though I've said no several times, they just keep asking me."

"I'm so busy, but I have to go to ____ because I'll feel bad if I don't."

obligation. guilt. worries.

I'm letting to of a few (minor) things I've stressed out about because I've told myself I "have-to-do" them. What is the reality. Do I really "have to"? No.

In the end I can choose what I want to do and not do. There are of course consequences to everything we choose, and that is something one must keep in mind. But I think it is very important to feel like you are in control of your own life to be able to stay centered and minimize stress and pressure. 

It’s important to choose what you want to do instead of always living in reaction and feeling controlled by outside forces all the time.

“Drag your thoughts away from your troubles… by the ears, by the heels, or any other way you can manage it.”


Also, not necessarily related, this is one of my favorite new quotes. What a wonderfully succinct summation:

"It is wonderful how much time good people spend fighting the devil. If they would only expend the same amount of energy loving their fellow men, the devil would die in his own tracks of ennui."
Helen Keller

Comments

Popular Posts