My Grocery Store Smells Like Fish

I am IN LOVE with my local Asian super grocery store. (p.s. - am I the only one who cringes when people say "Oriental", instead of Asian?! It's derogatory, and last time I checked, there is no Orient. There is an Asia, though! The term Oriental should be saved for when discussing RUGS!) The only problem with my store, is it reeks of fish. But, in their defense, that's what Asia smells like! It's just such a staple in their diet, there are raw fish stores everywhere.... And it's definitely not the most pleasant smell. But, I will continue to shop there because I can find ANYTHING I need when it comes to ethnic food. It's a Godsend.

Ok, remember the verrrry first post I ever made? No, probably not. But I do! It was about a farmers market I checked out in South Beach, when I lived in Miami. They convinced me to buy a jackfruit, even though it looked like the vegetable version of a hedgehog. I tried it and have been drooling to find a fresh one ever since. I guess they are back in season, because my lovely Asian Food Market came through, of course, on this one! I saw these today when shopping for my cabbage salad ingredients. I smiled, then wondered how in the world the supermarket people expected me to cut this up?? It's the size of a baby walrus. So, I didn't end up buying it. I'd never be able to eat half of it before it went bad. Booo....
Next funny moment at my Asian people store, was the duck. We all know that duck is pretty standard at most Asian restaurants. But, I like it when it's arranged nice and sweetly on my plate. I don't like to have a beak and eyes staring at me. Something about this picture makes me want to go jump on the PETA bandwagon. I'd be a really bad farmer's wife....

Comments

I loooooove blogging and I'm adding you to my blog... so I can keep updated with you! YAY! and I love that you go to the asian food store... is it Lee lee's??? something like that? Where it's a HUGE world mix or is this a new store I haven't heard of? Oh and jack fruit... ate it all the time in.... viet nam... I think?! I can't remember what country we ate that it... but we ate it dried... which is FABULOUS if you have one of those fruit driers!
Oriental is super offensive. I totally agree. It's like super old school racism.

Jack fruit looks scary, but now I want to try!
I just love reading your blog :) You totally crack me up, and your writing is so enthusiastic and fun. I was super intimidated by our Asian market, mostly because I didn't know what half the things are and we HAVE to read labels! I got scared and just bought produce (much cheaper IMO).

Happy shopping! :)
erin said…
Does this happen to be on Warner and Dobson?

Popular Posts