welcome to the dark side

Natural hair color is a subjective term.

For the last 15 years my trips to the salon have been an ever-blonde'ing experience. I was born with a head full of dark, thick hair. That quickly turned platinum blonde, and as the years passed I went from super-blonde baby to an ash blonde child. 

As soon as my parents let me highlight my hair, I went for it with gusto. Talk about damage. I enjoyed being the blonde sister. My sister was the raven haired beauty. I was the blondie who looked like mom.


I've wanted to go back to my natural color.....for atleast the last 2 years. But I was scared! Scared, why? I have no idea. Change. Darkness. (scream) How could I be a brunette?! I'm a blonde! Everytime I went to get my hair done, I'd pep talk myself all the way there. "Just say it, Amy. Just say.....I want to dye it back to my natural color." I'd sit in the chair. She would ask what I wanted done. I would say "blonde highlights. just like usual!"   FAIL.

ok. I was REALLY blonde here. attack of the bleach.

I confide in a friend my desire to go au'naturale. I also confide in him my fear that it will "look ugly". (dramatic, I know)

His concerned, serious words exactly: "How in the world could it ever look ugly? It's the way God made you. You are beautiful."  

If that wasn't convincing enough, he then proceeded to remind me a) I'll be saving money on highlighting my hair every 2.3 minutes  b) I'll be healthier by not subjecting my scalp, hair, body to harmful chemicals  c) I'll be natural. Free. Beautiful.


I know the flash does weird things to the color, but you get the idea for now....

I may have scared myself a few times looking in the mirror at first. But I'm getting used to it. It makes my eyes look lighter, which was also a fun find.

What I've learned:  I am learning to let go of things I can't change by focusing on the small things I can change. Hair color seems a silly way to manifest it, but it's another small area of my life where I was nervous to change. I realized I was "sweating the small stuff" and just did what I wanted to do. 

Worry often gives small things a big shadow. Carpe Diem.

Comments

Angela said…
I love it! Bravo for being brave. :)
Anonymous said…
Hey, cuzzin ... well, the natural color is fine, and you are beautiful as always ... but don't make promises you might not want to keep forever ... just have fun and live life, in whatever color! I love reading this blog!

ROBB F
Miss Amy said…
Thank you Angela!! :) I feel silly even admitting I worried about it!
Miss Amy said…
Robbie, thank you! :) You're right....Who knows what the future of hair color holds. Change is always good in my opinion.
Holly Sykes said…
Whenever I start feeling out of control in life, my hair always gets hit first... dye, cut, bangs... it makes me feel in control again. I completely understand.
this might shock you but I was blonde my whole life until I was about 16ish. My mom always wanted a blonde baby and started coloring it when I was 2 or 3, no joke. Anyways I haven't colored my hair in 3 and a half years and I love it! Welcome to the dark side :) I want to see more pictures, I love the one already!
M. said…
LOVE. I love that we're on the same brain wave. Everyone gets mad at me when I say i want to go really dark, so I cave. But why does it matter? It's my hair and I can always change it?! In that vein, i was sad when she said she didn't have enough to do my long hair :(
GOOD JOB. Oh, and i love this guy. Keep him ;)
Sheryl Towers said…
Oh, Amy, I just love it! You do look a lot younger, so if you didn't want to, sorry...but you do! You are beautiful no matter what!
Love, Auntie/cuz S
Regan said…
Looks great! xoxo :)
cat said…
im obsessed with this because thats exactly how i felt.. and now feel!

i love it though.. and months later when you realize you havent gotten your hair done FOREVER, you'll feel even more free!!! :)

i love you and your natural beauty!

Popular Posts