You Know You're In New York When.....

Sleepy eyed, I stumble downstairs to the Seacaucus Embassy Suites atrium, free breakfast voucher in hand. I hear the constant dull murmur usually associated with a full dining room. I lose all excitement for a cooked to order egg white omelet I might have had. I normally try to grab breakfast the moment they open. I guess I'd rather eat my breakfast in quiet among hurried businessmen, than the time crunched families with 5 kids in tow. Each one shoveling hashbrowns and bacon in their mouths like it's goin out of style. Then leaving a trail of scrambled eggs through the lobby, they jump on their NYC sightseeing motorcoach for a full day of Lady Liberty, Broadway and the now defunct Yankee Stadium (a cold day in hell, I might add, that Yankee Stadium is no more).

So, back to my point... I was pleasantly surprised to turn the corner and realize the soundtrack of constant dull murmur was being provided by the following cast of characters. Only in New York can you enjoy breakfast surrounded by folks like this, without anyone batting an eye.

The first group were in town for the "Annual German-American Steuben Parade". They were shocked and dismayed when I hadn't heard of it. Sorry. Or Entschuldigung for you German peeps. The funniest thing, is that the parade was YESTERDAY. Meaning.....they were just wearing their costumes for fun now. When would beer hall dresses and Lederhosen's be your first choice when digging through your suitcase?


The second group were just plain weirdos. The guys looked like a mixture of these two flamboyants:
I didn't have the courage to ask what they were here for.... I was worried their ruffled costumes would eat me. The women looked like a mixture of Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With The Wind, and Big Bird from Sesame Street. Wrong people, wrong!!! Scarlett O'Hara dresses were SO last season.

Comments

Popular Posts