Childhood Dreams

When I was a kid, my lifelong dream was to be a cashier at the grocery store. All those magical buttons, scanning barcodes and getting a little 'beep' in return... The kind of job responsibilities certain to challenge and thrill me for hours on end. I was at Trader Joe's the other day, and I saw these Kiddie sized shopping carts. Now, I've seen these before, as they're pushed around by kids with similar cashier dreams as mine.... They are so excited to be involved in shopping process, normally designated just to Mom. They have moved from inside the cart, to the big-shot pushing the cart!! This image made me laugh, just seeing all the little carts lined up together, waiting for each child, squealing with delight, as they walk in the door to find out, that they too, can chase their grocery store dreams.

Now, just another recipe for fun, and because I feel like it. Because I'm hungry and I'm too lazy to get up and make something right now. Because even though it sounds like a weird combination, this is SO easy, healthy and yummy. Have I won you over yet? Just make this, and be happy.

Grapefruit and Avocado Salad
Serves 1

1 Grapefruit, cut in bite sized pieces (of course after you peel it, duh.)
1 Avocado, sliced and cut into bite sized pieces
Dress with Italian Dressing like you would any other salad

(In this picture, it shows I'm using "Northern Italian" dressing with Basil and Romano cheese. I don't recommend this, it was just all I had in my refrigerator, and I was too lazy to drive to the store just for pure Italian Dressing... Why does the word lazy keep creeping in here? I am I really that lame?) Now, take a heaping bite, chew, and realize that you are healthier and happier.

Comments

Chet said…
Hey did you steal this from me??? Actually, I learned of this recipe from my old friend Monett, an elderly woman who "adopted" me when I was single and living in Laguna Beach, California many years ago. Now, everytime I have this wonderfully refreshing and tasty salad, I'm reminded of my old friend, who incidentally passed away about 15 years ago. Yummy treat.
Dad
Unknown said…
When grapefruit is out of season, or you are feeling even lazier, you can just use canned grapefruit! (the kind in its own juice, of course!) I like it even better this way, because it's juicier and the whole treat lasts longer...
Unknown said…
Hey, come home and we'll play store at the kiddie Wegmans at the Strong Museum!
M. said…
I <3 TJ's. Ever tried their mushroom risotto? mmmh.

Popular Posts