Is Simple Better?


This is a question I ask myself frequently. I'm not questioning whether or not I should chuck the pair of shoes (or 20) I never wear, gathering cobwebs on my shelf. But rather, in terms of LIFE. Life in general. Do I really even want the distractions of life in the big city? As a young 20 something, I always dreamed of living in downtown New York City. You could hear, feel, smell and taste the city calling you at all hours. I loved the constant and alluring buzz of the Big Apple. I craved the stimulation, and have consequently lived in various large cities since I left my teens. I'm conveniently forgetting the time spent in hick town USA (Logan, UT) for my first few years of college. It was cheap, I was young, I was stuck. Don't hate.

I digress... I finished up college for the last 3 years (after an extra year repeating classes that didn't transfer) in Las Vegas. From Sin City, I headed to South America, I mean, Miami... I get them confused sometimes.... I lasted (barely) for about 3 years, and I currently live in Phoenix (which I love). Each city beckons you with their international culture, adventurous cuisine, non- stop action, and great people watching. And traffic. And smog. And road rage. And violence. And soaring real estate prices....You get my point.

Sometimes I want to trade it all in for this picture above. (p.s. It was taken by my amazingly talented father) I want to pick the brain of someone who has been a city addict their whole lives, and unhooked the morphine drip. Made the transition to country life, or even borderline country life.... I don't know that I could go cold turkey on my city addiction here.... I still do require a grocery store that carries more than Iceburg lettuce and potatoes. Ya know, farmer grub. I'm a girl, and I like spinach and shrimp. Maybe an occasional grilled Portobello mushroom. And I don't want to drive more than 20 minutes for my girl friendly grocery store. Am I wanting to have my cake and eat it too?

Comments

Unknown said…
I know the perfect place for you - just what you've described ...fifteen minutes to international cuisine, vibrant cultural venues (art, theatre, music), and the airport ...but also just ten minutes to lakeside orchards, vineyards, and dairy farms...five minutes to farm markets OR bounteous superstores with organic spinach, fresh shrimp and much more...affordable housing ... friendly residents ...sports galore... waterfront ...
I think you can live a simple life in the big city. I think it is hard to go back to a small town, even though I think that life was simpler, easier, when I lived in Idaho. However, there isn't the celebration of ideas, food, culture, opportunity, in small towns, like in the "big city". On the other hand, the growing price tag makes living in a big city hard to do and less appealing. I love living in Los Angeles. I love the vibe of the city, and how this city has helped me grow as a person, just because of the people in it. I think the way to have a simple life in the big city is not to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the stress...I literally have no idea how to do that...but it is a nice idea.
M. said…
um, you really need to read my friend Heather's latest blog entry. IT IS ON THE EXACT SAME THING!! (you remember heath??) I remember always wanting NYC, now i just want somewhere green. Then I think I LOVE D.C. but.. I miss hiking, I miss the ease of nature at my doorstep. Where is the happy medium?
Chet said…
A pet subject.
I remember reading the book "Voluntary Simplicity" some years ago. As a matter of fact, this book triggered a whole simplicity movement back then. My friends thought that I was becoming a Marxist. Anyway, many years later and after much pondering over what simplicity really means, I still must say that I struggle with the simplicity-materialism tug-of-war. Though I'm not where I'd like to be (simplicity speaking), I'm convinced that to get to a simpler way of life it's most important to have quiet in one's life...the quieter the better. This is the first requirement of simplifying life...quiet and solitude. Even if it's for only a short time each day, it's necessary. From here one can evolve to a more simple lifestyle...doing with less clothes, eating more simply and less often, finding simplicity in entertainment...good reading and music. Most important...find a creative outlet...paint, write, photograph, compose, etc. Avoid anything toxic to the brain...things like reading or viewing anything and everything having to do with the lives of imbecilic celebrities, mounting up debts for things not really needed (debt is very toxic to the soul), spending time in big box stores or anyplace where mass consumption is the mindset. Read poetry. Learn to meditate. I'm gonna start my simplicity crash course tomorrow...but I've gotta buy just one more camera lens...then I'll start...with gusto!
Dad

Popular Posts