Kind Words

I walked into the jam packed grocery store today at 5pm. Grocery carts were speeding around corners like derby cars. Each time-crunched mom jockeying the checkout lines, before their kids could wail any louder in protest for a Snickers and Kit Kat dinner.

As I was leisurely browsing the aisles, kid-free, I needed to reach over another woman's shopping cart to grab what I needed off the shelf. She apologetically tried to move her cart so I wouldn't have to reach, and I simply said "Oh, don't worry about it, you're fine. Really, you're fine!".

She looked at me, and with a big sigh, said "Thank you for saying that. It's the nicest thing I've heard all day".

I couldn't help but feel bad for the poor woman. A random stranger is the one to make her day with a semi-nice comment??

So I smiled, and told her she was beautiful, and that I knew she had many brighter days ahead.

I challenge you to make a comment to someone which ends up being the "nicest thing they hear all day". Words have tremendous lasting power, far more than we often realize.

" Seek your truth, and speak your truth… for there is power in your visions and in your words…"

Comments

Dawn and Spence said…
I so love this Amy. Absolutely true. :-) And the greatest part about it is that when you know you've made someone's day better, it makes yours better too!
That is so sad and sweet at the same time.
M. said…
ah! I totally agree. My friend Wade came up to me today.. and give me a big hug and says I love my wife, but you look absolutely stunning today!" (they are getting married on thurs) it made my day!

Popular Posts