Pumpkin "Butter"


Courtesy of Ms. Pioneer Woman, I made this delizioso Fall spread yesterday. What I like best, is there is actually no butter in this Pumpkin Butter. I'm not saying it's a spoonful of health, but it's free of artery and hip enlarging fats. However, the heaping cup of powdered sugar could potentially lead to both excessive snacking, as well as tighter jeans.

1 Cup Non fat/Lowfat/Regular (whichever you want) Yogurt
1 Cup Pumpkin Puree
1 Heaping Cup Powdered Sugar (I haven't tried it, but maybe substituting 1/2 the sugar with Splenda would work....someone try it and let me know!!)
1 Tbsp. Pumpkin Spice (or more if you like it a little spicier!)

Toast some wheat bread, spread a little Smart Balance on first, then smother in Pumpkin Butter. YUM!!

Comments

Looks yummy!
I would not try a dry sugar substitute like splenda in something like fruit butter :) You need the 'real' thing for consistency as well as flavor. If you're looking to use something healthier, you can try agave nectar...start with 1/4 to 1/3 of the sugar and adjust to your taste. You can also make a simple apple/pumpkin butter without as much sugar (personally I'd use brown), spices and a squeeze of lemon juice (and lots of cooking!). I also hear that Trader Joe's Pumpkin Butter is phenominal :)
Miss Amy said…
YES, Trader Joe's is awesome! But also $5 for a teeny jar!

Popular Posts