Farming for Pecans

The Farm at South Mountain is a mirage like paradise in the middle of the arid desert. They boast 12 acres of organically farmed Pecan trees, surprisingly lush landscape views, simple and unobtrusive linen outdoor party canopies, weathered picnic tables scattered across the leafy pecan tree grove, and three outstanding restaurants.

Morning Glory Cafe offers fresh, healthy continental style breakfasts (at least during the weekdays). The chef serves up impressively huge omelets, but not huge enough to leave you in a food coma. The Farm Kitchen is open for lunch and serves interesting and hearty sandwiches, home made soup and salads chock full of goodies. Quiessence Restaurant and Wine Bar is the the crown jewel of the Farm. Dinner served here is nutritious, local, seasonal and organic. The menu structure is truly Italian, as it is served in a relaxed 4 course style. All this special attention does equal higher prices, but those who have tasted the goodness served here are willing to splurge every now and then!

Katie and I ventured out here for lunch last week, and we were pleasantly surprised. I didn't get any pictures of Katie's meal (sad...), but I wish I had because her soup was OUTSTANDING! She had a half sandwich, half soup combo, and a slice of fresh homemade pumpkin pie. I had a grilled vegetable salad with garlic hummus on the side. The vegetables were expertly grilled, with just the right amount of crispness. I'm envious of the perfectly placed grill marks the restaurants seem to get every time! Someday Bobby Flay will have to stop by and teach me how to be such a skilled grillmaster....

Memo: Hey Flay, call me.


My delicious and healthy salad. Yes, I devoured the whole thing.


Pecan trees! Inside these pods are the pecan shells you see at the market.

Definitely the freshest pecan I've ever had.... YUM!

Comments

Unknown said…
MMM...I can just taste those fresh pecans...and smell the soup...and taste the crunchy salad...you should be in PR! Can't wait to go there someday!
erin said…
Pecans are delicious. I actually had never cracked open my own before until a couple days ago. Wes loves these and I would never have known what the inside of the round soft shell was. I would have assumed it was just some random nut in the nut bowl, :) I am gonna have to visit this place.

Popular Posts