Big Breakfast. Little Restaurant.

Matt's Big Breakfast is one of Phoenix's many spotlighted restaurants on Food Network.

This guy:
happens to like Matt's Big Breakfast quite a bit, and featured it on one of his episodes!

The parentals are in town from New York for the next week. As Murphy's Law would have it, they arrive during a "storm" week. We have low 60 degree temperatures, skattered rain and overcast skies. Not a bad deal for them seeing they left New York in a blinding blizzard. But as Arizona weather goes, it's stormy!! Indoor activities have been our goal so far, and this was our Tuesday morning decision.

Dad and I had both heard of Matt's Big Breakfast from a few different reliable sources, Food Nework included. We decided to head down there at the chipper hour of 7am. We heard a line out the door was inevitable, so we tried for 6:30 when it first opened....but, that definitely didn't happen. Thankfully, it's a Tuesday. I guess some people have those things called JOBS, so we didn't have to wait in a line! Saturday (as our bus boy Pedro tells us) is a minimum 1 1/2 hour wait. No thanks. I'll make my own eggs benedict, thank you.

This is why there is a wait. 8 tables, one counter with 5 stools.
That's the extent of Matt's Big Breakfast! It's like 1/4 of a block kinda big.

We chose to sit at the counter. We were feeling retro and cool. My parents were retro, and I was cool. ;)

Looking behind me, this was the view out the front window. See, it's stormy!
Fresh squeezed tangelo juice. So pulpy, it gets stuck on the side of the glass, just like I like it. YUM!
I had the special of the morning. Chicken apple sausage, organic baby spinach and provolone cheese scramble. I asked for egg whites, and substituted the hash browns for sliced tomatoes. It was absolutely to die for. Next time I'd ask for no cheese like I normally do....I just spaced it. It was a little too greasy for my taste.
Whole wheat toast. Grainy, flavorful, crunchy and delicious.
Mom's choice. Same as mine, but with the hashbrowns. I tasted them, and I may have passed out momentarily from their goodness. They're sauteed in olive oil and rosemary. However, the rosemary is picked from an actual bush of live rosemary in the kitchen!! You could see it next to the stove whenever the servers went in the back! I'm always a fan of super fresh ingredients!
Dad's choice. Matt's is supposedly known for their pancakes. My Dad gave in to the hype (I guess I did too, since I taste tested his once....ok, or maybe ten times).
They barely needed syrup. And this is coming from a girl who uses a minimum half bottle of syrup at each pancake sitting.

End result?Absolutely worth going to. Waiting 2 hours in line?? Well, depends on how badly you need fresh tangelo juice and a stack of piping hot pancakes. Or you could avoid the whole internal struggle, and go on a weekday morning. See, I'm a problem solver.

Comments

Soooo my step sister used to work for that blonde hair guy, he's got a resturant in Sactown... she quit a few months into the job cuz he was the BIGGEST jerk ever! even if he does seem pretty cool on TV.

I have yet to make your Famous Amous Cookies.... perhaps I could use some help!!! lol
Michelle said…
next up take them to chino bandito....it was on diner's drive ins & dives too...and its a good time. tell them it's your first time & you get samples. take me with you!
Eating The Road said…
Awesome write-up. I love that place too:
http://eatingtheroad.wordpress.com/2009/10/29/matts-big-breakfast/

Popular Posts