Rice...in Pudding???

Rice to Riches. It's the rice pudding connoisseur's dream! This single location dessert stop is on the corner of Mott and Spring St in NYC, and serves 15+ flavors of rice pudding and your choice of toppings and mix ins. You can choose anything from french toast (my choice!) to raspberry, peanut butter to original. Delicious!
It's sort of the chunky, lumpy, gooey version of Cold Stone Creamery. As you walk in, you immediately experience sensory overload. You're greeted by sweet smells, lots of Lucite and brightly colored plastic, and crazy Euro Trance lounge music. Nothing jarring, more like Buddha Bar / Bartlotti kind of zone out tunes. The decor is Euro-modern, contemporary and clean.

Funny thing is, I have never liked rice pudding....The wrinkled up nose and stuck out tongue have always followed any taste test I've tried in the past. Something about the slimy rice pieces in the pudding just grossed me out for some irrational reason. I'm not normally bothered by the texture of foods. I'm an easy eater and I enjoy most foods, but I couldn't get past the pudding/rice combo. Rice to me is supposed to be savory, not sweet. Rice is meant for curry, butter, or even a little Parmesan cheese, lemon and olive oil (yum). But pudding?? Rice to Riches proved me wrong. Although, I only finished half of my "single size" portion. I can't imagine trying to eat a double.... Ask me that question at Cold Stone, and you'll get a totally different answer. Bring on the Gotta Have It German Chocolate Cake!!! (and a personal trainer and a 7 day no-carb fast).

Now....in all honesty, I was sort of in a predicament. You see, Rice to Riches is right next door to Pinkberry. What is a girl to do?! The only logical answer was to just have both. Good thing I'm a logical kind of girl. I like it when things make sense. Rice Pudding and Pinkberry in one day makes sense.

Comments

Kris said…
Yummy... that makes me miss a place in believe it or not... orem called pudding on the rice. Same look and idea. I agree though... hard to finish the whole thing. It gets old.
M. said…
ha ha! When i was there last month we had pinkberry 4 times...and it wasn't enough. I also really wanted to go to rice to riches- the feminist decor kind of freaked him out but it was good. my fav part? the take away container. If you have one you feel like giving me, I will love you forever....more than I do ;)
Yummy! I wanted to go there when I was in NYC but we were in such a hurry I forgot all of the places I wanted to go! Did they have any diary free kind?

Popular Posts