Thai Pumpkins

Mangos, pumpkin, chicken broth, peanut butter and lime. They don't sound like typical flavors that would mix well, but what do I know? Turns out I'm just an uncultured American, because they taste fantastic together! I even have pictures to prove it. The best part of this recipe, is it's a CROCK-POT meal! Whether it's a kitchen appliance, a man, a friend, a monkey. Whatever. If you cook for me, I heart you. Especially if the results are as delicious as these.

Enter: Thai Chicken Pumpkin Soup.

I would have taken more detailed pictures, but it turns out you actually have to charge a digital camera, or it will turn off mid-photo shoot. Funny how that works...(I'll list the whole recipe at the end).
Chopped veggies make my heart pitter patter.
Here is the finished product. Steaming hot, flavorful, hearty, and a wonderful winter dish. Magically, sitting by my pool in the 80 degree (I'm sticking out my tongue at you Northerners) March sun (in my bathing suit) with a bowl full of hot soup (and a Pina Colada) makes me feel like I actually live in a winter climate. If I can't have the seasons, at least I can pretend I do (minus the parka and mittens).
Here is the full recipe. When I made this the first time, I divided everything way down to make only 3 servings. Just enough for Katie and me, and a little bit of leftovers. The only change I would make, is to add more onion, and to use coconut milk instead of cream or milk. The finished dish was lacking seasoning, and I found myself having to substitute with herbs, garlic salt and more pepper. I think the coconut flavor would add nicely to this Thai style dish. Have fun and enjoy!

Thai Chicken Pumpkin Soup

1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 large white onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
1/2 to 3/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 stalks celery, trimmed and diced
2 carrots, peeled, trimmed and diced
1 can (15 oz) solid-pack pumpkin
1/2 cup mango nectar
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (I ended up using a little more)
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro, divided
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 to 4 cups hot cooked rice (preferably jasmine or basmati)
3 green onions, minced
1/2 cup roasted unsalted peanuts, coarsly chopped
lime wedges (optional for garnish)

1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally , about 3 minutes. Add onion, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes; cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer or until mixture is fragrant.

2. Transfer chicken mixture to CROCK-POT slow cooker. Add celery, carrots, pumpkin, mango nectar, lime juice, peanut butter, broth and 2 cups water; stir to combine. Cover; cook on LOW 8 hours or on HIGH 4 hours.

3. Stir in rice vinegar and 1/4 cup cilantro. Mix cream (I'd use coconut milk) and cornstarch together in small mixing bowl. Stir mixture into soup. Turn setting to HIGH. Simmer, uncovered 10 minutes or until soup thickens.

4. To serve, put rice in soup bowls. Ladle soup around rice. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro, green onion and peanuts. Squeeze fresh lime juice over soup, if desired.

Comments

Kris said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kris said…
Yum! Does this take forever to make? It looks so good! Here's a different link for max brenner-http://www.maxbrenner.com/menus.html
You should definitely go there. I love your blog. You're always doing something fun! You'll be here next week! Yay!
Unknown said…
Thanks so much for sharing your recipe - can't wait to try it! Tonight we had Thai Bow Tie Pasta. Say it out loud - it sounds funny!

Popular Posts