My State of the Union Address

Friends, Romans, Countrymen....... Listen up. Sit back. Relax, grab a Coke. And tell me what to do!!!! I need a life coach. Waaaahhhh, sob, cry. 


 

Most who know me, think I work in an industry reliant on the seemingly deep pocketed world of the country's most successful and wealthy people. This is true, but also misleading at the same time. These influential elite have the money, but aren't spending it on private jets. Chartered flights and private ownership sales are almost at a standstill. Either these financial superstars are protecting their image by not spending frivolously, or the troubled economy truly has effected every rung of the ladder.

 
I feel frustrated because I find myself in a hard position. I've been to college, received my degree, and landed a what I thought was a dream job right out of college as an event planner for MGM Mirage Events.... Which I promptly left once the opportunity to travel and get paid came along!

However, now that I'm contemplating getting out of aviation, and into a "normal" career (where I have a schedule, and can plan my life more than 1 day in advance), I can't seem to break the perception potential employers have when I tell them I am a "flight attendant". 

They assume I'm a seat belt Nazi, slinging Cokes at you as I walk down the aisle of some commercial airline jet with a big scowl on my face. They probably hate me automatically, and blame me for every 5 hour delay they've ever had. And this all occurs before they've even met me. What do I do? How do I re-brand myself? How do I break back into the normalcy I left 4 years ago? I love aviation. I love traveling, I love the independence, the creativity.... I love my career...But, I've grown tired of the instability, completely spontaneous "scheduling", and solo travel. There are only so many dream "vacations" I can take by myself, and holidays spent alone. I want to share these experiences with someone!

My dilemma lies in how to re-label myself. How do I preempt their assumptions and showcase the best qualities I can bring to their organization? Qualities that actually translate into a job description? It's hard enough trying to describe my current career to people...

I give them the shpeel (how do you spell that crazy word?!) about how I'm not like a commercial airline flight attendant. I cook, I organize, I event plan, I entertain, I decorate, I host, I coordinate etc.... 

They look at me glassy eyed, and ask, "so, what airline do you work for?". S-C-R-E-A-M!!!! People, you are killing me. So... this leads me to believe that if my own family and friends cannot grasp exactly what I do right off the bat, how will anyone understand what I can provide them in a short interview?! Maybe it's my problem. Maybe I need to be more clear and concise. I need my own personal headline scrawled across my forehead. A big fat "Hi! My name is Amy and I am more than just a flight attendant" sticker on my shirt.

Ideas? Headlines? Advice? A shoulder to cry on? Bueller? Bueller???

What is my personal brand!?

 

Comments

M. said…
um...well if you want to focus in the planning aspect of what you do then I would say that was your main job. When they ask where you did the planning etc. say you were hired by fortune 500 ppl to travel with them wherever they went. Something like that ;)
I will send you stuff tomorrow :) Also, if you want me to look at your resume, let me know! We have lovely "deflecting" statements and whatnot at work. I work in a "career transition" office!

Hang in there love!
XOXO
Unknown said…
It's "spiel", but I love your phonetic spelling - the meaning was clear!!!

I like your friends' suggestions, too...always good to get new perspectives.

Popular Posts