Looks Like Sushi....Rolled Like Sushi....But.....

It's Kimbap!! You must forgive my messy photo. This is proof that I was hurried and hungry. After I finished making it, I realized I completely forgot to document the process! Oh well, the final product is always more interesting anyways. Kind of like when I sneak a peak at the last page of a novel....Or only tune in for the last episode of American Idol. I really only care about the end result. Man...I really need to work on that whole "happiness is in the journey" mantra....
This Korean style "sushi" is called Kimbap, or Gimbap, and is made with a variety of fresh and pickled vegetables, a choice of seasoned or marinated protein (crab, beef, fish, tofu), and fried eggs. Short grain white rice is seasoned with rice vinegar, sesame oil and a little sugar, then spread across a sheet of seaweed (Nori). It differs from traditional Japanese sushi in that it's not served with wasabi or ginger, nor prepared with raw fish. Kimbap is almost always made with cooked meats or fish, so for all you people out there who have wanted to try sushi, but were sketched out by the raw factor of it....kimbap may be the perfect solution!

In my Korean snack, I used Korean BBQ pork, one egg, pickled radish, carrots, crab, mint leaves (i just love mint. i could eat mint with lasagna and i'd probably still like it), cucumber and a tiny bit of mayo. Yum!! Just the taste of Kimbap brings back vivid memories of my 5 weeks in South Korea. That was one of the happiest times in my life. I think I may have become quasi-Buddhist on that trip. Any country whose subways have huge fish tanks on the waiting platforms, and play soft Asian flute music for stress relief, is a country I can be happy in. The fresh Kimbap on every corner doesn't hurt either! Kimbap is surprisingly considered "fast food" in Korea. On sight seeing trips, I opted to take the bus on longer journeys so I could see a little more of city/countryside. Plus, buses are the fresh out of college, essentially broke traveler's best friend.

A great girls-night-in idea could be a Kimbap night! Everyone brings a different ingredient and you can assemble them together, while drooling over Ken Wantanabe in The Last Samurai or Memoirs of a Geisha....Oh wait....He's Japanese, not Korean. Oh well.... I bet Ken Wantanabe likes Kimbap too. You could always invite him (and me) to your girls night and find out.....

Comments

Chet said…
I'll stick with the peach shortcake thank you.
Love,
Dad
ChrisP said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts