If She Says Eclectic One More Time......

Have you ever stumbled across photos of a room that instantly made you smile? I was literally pouring over hundreds of thousands of them for the last hour, and only was able to break away because my eyes were starting to cross with blurriness. The fact that it's 4 am and I'm still awake may have something to do with this eye problem, but we'll put that aside for now.

The website houzz.com is dangerously addictive. Don't go there if you have:

a) too much time to kill.
b) no time to kill whatsoever, but are interested in beautiful spaces and things.
c) remodeling sometime in the next 2 decades, whether it's your house, your parent's house, your neighbor's house, the friend's house you beg to get your hands on because it needs a remodel so badly.
d) you have a soft spot for modern, contemporary, eclectic, Mediterranean, Asian, tropical or traditional decorating styles.
e) you are anti-inspiration or creative intrigue.

I learned a few things about myself after looking through the aforementioned style categories. Funny enough, I connect to the eclectic style in the most passionate of ways. I literally could not stop smiling and musing about how creative and different each room was. Some were even a little wacky, and I found myself completely loving it. I tried to imagine the curious types who would be so ingenious to create such wild spaces to live in. I started to wonder why I wasn't more creative in styling my surrounding aesthetic endeavors. Most importantly, I realized how important my childhood was in developing this intense admiration towards all things eclectic. I always viewed my childhood as fairly unique. Although they may disagree, my parents were artists in their own ways. Each one creating amazing displays of talent and skill in their respective writing, photography, watercolor, film making, and music. They embodied normal but out-of-the-box personalities simultaneously and effortlessly. Looking back at the many impressionable years I spent watching their every move, I can see how they unknowingly molded me into the ever-seeking eclectic I am today.

I am more of an undercover eclectic. I think I show my true colors a little more as I get older, as I feel less influenced by other people's views. Some days, I feel drowned and stifled by normalcy. I do value flexibility, and believe that conformity is to be of some benefit. I do not agree with running about, doing as we please, just to satisfy our inner uninhibited eclectic. However, one should never feel stifled by the world's opinion.

I am relating this historical rundown because I was surprised to see that I felt so instantaneously at home while browsing through the hundreds of eclectic themed pages on houzz.com. I have always marveled at the Mediterranean style of architecture, and imagined I would feel most drawn to these pages. I was most in love with the yellows, the terra cotta, the reclaimed wood floors shimmering with a muted patina....but something about the eclectic spaces grabbed a hold of me a little tighter than the others.

I can absolutely appreciate the styling genius, architectural beauty, clean and minimalistic lines, bold and bright colors, zen like tranquility and shabby chicness of the other styles houzz.com was showcasing. That website could hold my attention for weeks at a time!

If I had the hard drive space, the time and the patience, I would have cut and pasted millions of pictures here for you to see....but I don't. Nor, do I think you have the patience for my photographic ramblings either!

Here are some of my favorites from the eclectic section of houzz.com Go to their website if you dare....Just don't say I didn't warn you! Happy browsing!!

Comments

Matt said…
I will definately be wasting some time on this website in the near future.

Popular Posts