Nothin But Sauce

I have a new found respect for anyone who works on a factory line.

Honestly, it is the most monotonous, uncomfortable, repetitive, boring thing I've ever done. However, yesterday's 5 hours volunteered canning spaghetti sauce for the Cannery taught me another angle of gratitude. Lately, I haven't been grateful for my education.

In my seemingly never-ending quest to change careers, I feel like I'm trying to climb a gigantic mountain in stiletto heels. I always thought having my Bachelors Degree should be like the climbing shoes I have to put on, maybe even a rope or two. It's not a helicopter ride to the top, but it should be a tool giving me the ability to make the climb.

Unfortunately, the job market is so saturated with job seekers right now, a Bachelors Degree doesn't mean much on the resume. I was starting to forget how grateful I am for my education, my abilities, my life experiences. All those things that make it possible for me to apply for jobs NOT in a factory.

Yesterday was fun in some aspects, especially because my friend Jill and I volunteered together. We had some hilarious moments during the day, thanks to our steamy, loud, hair netted surroundings. We began the day with a chat with the Cannery's foremen. He asked us when we had graduated from college. Keep in mind, Jill is an accomplished Attorney, Bikram Yoga instructor, among many other things... We told him when we had graduated, and his response immediately was "Oh. So, what? Are you both mothers now?". I couldn't help but laugh. Jill was a little more composed, and told him no, not yet. Maybe it's his generation? Maybe he didn't know what question to ask us next? Maybe he's just living in his bubble.
I wish you could have smelled what we smelled all day. Some people grew up with the scent of cookies, apple pies and brownies wafting from their oven. Those are comfort smells to them. Me? I grew up smelling basil, garlic, spaghetti sauce. There is nothing more delicious than the smells of a "slow sauce" on the stove.

The spaghetti sauce we were canning yesterday came out of the spouts piping hot and absolutely steaming with the delicious smells of basil, tomatoes, garlic, mushrooms and other Italian goodness.

We decided Glade needs to market a spaghetti sauce scented candle. You can buy the apple pie scent, why not spaghetti sauce? Trick the neighbors into thinking you've been cooking that slow sauce on the stove allllll day. I'd buy it.

Comments

GreySky72 said…
Oh Amy I just love you hahaha you are so funny

Popular Posts