Rosemary Trout with a Cherry Tomato Sauce















At the risk of sounding blasphemous to my Italian family..... as much as I love my hearty Italian food, there's just something about sausages, peppers and onions that don't mix with a hot summer night. This is the season for a perfectly grilled piece of fish for dinner. It's light, healthy and filling. Rainbow trout has always been one of my favorites, and when I came across this recipe on the epicurious site, it was my dinner destiny for the evening!

The only change I made was in pureeing the cherry tomato sauce. I like my sauces like I like my peanut butter. Chunky. I don't want just chopped vegetables, as the recipe calls for, because that's not a sauce in my book. I lightly put the topping ingredients through the food processor, then topped the trout with it in the end (and I forgot to get a picture of the sauce!!). Absolutely delicious.....

I know some people would rather remove the skin from cooked fish, which is totally silly to me. There's nothing better than crispy, grilled skin to offset the smooth texture of fish. Trout is no exception. If I can suggest eating the fish and skin together, I think it brings this dish to a whole new level! :)

** Shopping tip for my Arizona friends** Sprouts Market is having a SALE on Idaho trout this week (Aug 5 - Aug 12). $6.99 a lb. I'm not sure what kind of trout this means....although Rainbow are the most common in Idaho. And because trout are so fascinating, I'm sure you'll be interested in this breakdown of types of trout, here!

Ingredients
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes (preferably assorted colors), halved
  • 1 large shallot, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary plus 8 large sprigs
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • Coarse kosher salt
  • 4 10- to 12-ounce whole trout, gutted, boned, heads removed, if desired
Preparation

Mix tomatoes, shallot, vinegar, and chopped rosemary in bowl. Stir in 1 tablespoon oil. Season sauce with salt and pepper.

Open trout like book on work surface. Sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper. Place 2 rosemary sprigs on each; fold over to close.

Divide 3 tablespoons oil between 2 large nonstick skillets. Place over medium-high heat. Add 2 trout to each skillet. Cook trout until brown outside and just opaque in center, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to plates. Spoon sauce alongside. Serves 4.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Can you get this with beer batter?
GreySky72 said…
Dang girl you make me wish I knew how to cook!

Popular Posts