Raw Brownies to Satisfy Your Inner Hippie


My last experience with the raw food revolution didn't exactly have the best outcome. Actually, tasteless and disgusting describe it nicely. So, I was a little skeptical when my friend Jill invited me over to make raw brownies. I thought, why mess with a good thing? Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, Ghirardelli...These are names that should proceed the word brownie, not "raw". What is raw food, you ask? It is simply un-processed, un-cooked, and often organic.

Jill just returned from a 6 week instructor training Bikram Yoga class in California, and one of her fellow yoginis (who is also a chef) gave her this recipe. I trust Jill's culinary choices, so why not give it a shot? I consider myself an inner hippie, always looking for healthier options out of life. So while Jill did all the messy work, I'll take credit for sitting at her kitchen counter, nibbling, chatting, observing, and taking photos. All the hard stuff...

End result? Fabulous. Delicious, chewy, moist, chocolately. Awesome. I love trying out recipes that seem like they have the potential of ending up as a big pile of tasteless goo, but end up a new healthy favorite! The only disclaimer I have is that these are not Betty Crocker, Ghiradelli, or Duncan Hines.

Think Luna Bar and Duncan Hines had a baby. That's the closest I can come to explaining the texture and taste of these delicious brownies. Now get to the food processor and start pureeing!

Raw Food Brownies
Adapted from a Yogini in California

3 C. dates (pitted) - puree and set aside
1 C. raw almonds - puree and set aside
1 C. raw cashews - puree and set aside
2 T. raw vanilla
1 C. raw cocoa (we used cocoa nibs)
1/2 C. solid coconut oil
1/2 tsp. raw sea salt

Puree all dates, almonds, cashews separately. Set aside.

Add to the rest of the ingredients and puree everything together, you may have to knead.

Press into a pan and refrigerate for 1 hour (or freezer for 20 minutes like we impatiently did).


Satisfy your inner hippie spirit without foregoing a razor, trading your SUV for a Prius, or giving up your double pillow top king sized mattress for a sleeping bag in the woods.

Comments

Popular Posts