Fresh produce with your manicure?


My week long tour of the mid-west started off on the rocky side. I felt like we had landed on an alien planet where Arby's, Taco Bell, and KFC ruled the land. Turns out, I needed to open my eyes a little wider, get a little more local, and do some exploring.

I asked the woman at the front desk of our hotel what she recommended I do while in town. She laughed, then looked at me blankly with raised eyebrows, as if to say, "How do I let you down lightly, honey??". Good thing I didn't listen, not that that's any different from how I normally operate, I suppose.


Rental car keys in hand, Garmin Nuvi GPS plugged in, I searched for points of interest, restaurants, and landmarks. After scrolling through 2 pages of fast food chains, I came to Donna's Restaurant. I decided to give it a try for breakfast. The drive there brought me past the Union Pacific rail yard, beautiful old brick homes, silo-shaped steam emitting industrial buildings, and across a river that has seen better days. So many photo opportunities! Breakfast hours were dangerously dwindling, and my stomach might have staged a coup d'etat if I waited a minute longer to feed it. I decided to capture it all on film on my way back.

Donna's looked like a cross between a used car dealership and a bait and tackle shop. But the parking lot was full, so why not give it a shot? My veggie scramble and fresh fruit bowl was near perfect, and my waitress near 100 years old. I was impressed on both accounts.

It was impossible not to eavesdrop on every conversation in there, since every table was laughing and reminiscing with one another. It was like being at a family reunion, with the added vibe of a  trucker/emphysema crowd....


The drive back was so interesting, and the streets were practically empty. I guess that's what it feels like to be in a town of 6,000. Locals looked at me quizzically as I took photos of worn down buildings and smashed windows. Life is so beautiful if you take the time to enjoy it from a different perspective sometimes. To most, I suppose buildings like this are a neighborhood eyesore. To me, it was nostalgic, sad, and beautiful in it's own way. Although, I'm sure I'd feel differently if that was the view out my front door.


The best moment of my day came when I met June. I decided to get a manicure, and after convincing myself to trust my needy nails to a complete stranger, I walked into the salon. June met me with a restrained smile and a soft voice. She seemed nice enough, and reminded me of a shy, but loving Leave it to Beaver era mom. As we sat down, she was just enthralled with the details of my job. She asked me "how I got a mind so big to be able to travel so far and not be scared"....What do I say to that question?? I was only a 2 hour flight from Arizona! She told me she'd never been east of Nebraska, or west of Las Vegas. So basically, she's stayed in the mid-west her entire life. She had children my age, and she recounted the difficulties of living in a small town. All her children had various issues growing up, from teen pregnancy to rehab. She said it was all she could do to just keep her head down and do nails. I wanted to hug her!! She was still haunted by the gossip. It quickly became a therapy session....for her! She wanted to know how to see past the small town talk, how to think bigger, how to clear her mind. She even contemplated traveling to Sedona to try "one of those new-agey Labyrinth things". I tried not to chuckle.... We talked of religion, the strength one finds through Christ, loving your children no matter what, meditation, exercise, and nutrition. What happened next totally blew my mind. When I told her I loved to eat fresh vegetables and fruits, her eyes lit up. She ran in the back and a few moments later came back with a basket of fresh vegetables picked from her garden that morning. She had brought them in for the girls in the salon to take home, but she gave them to me for a healthy hotel room snack! Hello mid-west, I think I just fell in love.


The people here were so incredibly welcoming and friendly. Happy hellos, outstanding personal service, and a slower pace.... I could have stayed, which is crazy to even say out loud! Wasn't it like, yesterday that I pined for NYC? Paris? London? Not that I don't still l-o-v-e these cities, I just feel like I'm connecting with my inner small towner lately. I think a summer home in the rolling hills of the country is definitely on the agenda in the next 20 odd years. Imagine the garden I could have! A pond! A big black lab! Ok....this is getting a little too country. I'm scaring myself! Time to go put on some stilettos and drink a latte while wearing gigantic sunglasses.

Comments

M. said…
and you thought you wouldn't like it :)
Anonymous said…
I love it! Great reportage and verite style. June sounds great...if I'm ever in her town AND need a manicure, I'm headed her way.
Love you,
dad

Popular Posts