Tranquil, Relax, Peace, Love, Family. What images come to mind?

When ever the holiday season approaches, I find myself daydreaming of the places and faces of my childhood. I am reminded that although most of our family are far from us, I am blessed to have the incredible memories of family dinners, Christmas tree farms, hot fireplaces, sledding, cross country skiing along the back roads of our grandparent's land in Vermont, epic spreads of food at Thanksgiving, Italian Christmas Eve, laughter, snow storms, and love.

Images of my grandparent's home in Vermont brings instant memories of late nights sitting by the fire playing Upwards, trying in vain to keep up with my grandfather's intelligence. I can feel the hot sun streaming through giant kitchen windows on to my pajama clad back, while my Grandmother Sue taught us how to bake apple pies from scratch. One of the best lessons I learned during our time in the kitchen, was to enjoy the process. If we made apple pies, we snacked our way through each one, enjoying thick slices of cinnamon-sugar covered apples. She taught us not to sweat the small stuff. A dash here, a dash there was her measuring spoon. Mix it until it tastes right!

Memories are difficult to give justice to through words. Every visit to Vermont helped us appreciate the value of trial and error, widened our perspectives, taught us to respect and to be curious towards different cultures (my grandparents have traveled more of the world than anyone I've met....even in all my years of aviation), helped us practice a calm approach to life's problems, and created an insatiable drive to learn new things.

I am so grateful for my dear grandparents. I miss them often, but most poignantly during the holidays.

Magic is a reality to children. It helps a very adult world make sense, and come to life. May we all remember the images and memories that trigger childlike wonder.

Here are mine.

Mount Mansfield.


Serenity through clouds.


Shadows along our hiking trail.


Heavy snow in the morning sun.


Welcoming committee.


Grandpa on his daily walk to the post office.


Each wall, lined with books.


Grandma Sue and Grandpa Bill


Comments

Popular Posts