Art History Cheat Sheet


A brilliant art history cheat sheet. 
I love this!



I laughed out loud when I read "BOTERO OWNS FAT". I suppose this is right, considering this is one of his great works of art.

 


Probably the most bizarre one is Orlan. Orlan is a French woman who has been working in experimental performance for many years. Instead of script or a canvas, she uses her own body as the text and subject of her work. Her most famous works are a series of surgeries that were performed on her. Using only local anesthetics, Orlan was able to do live broadcasts from the operating table and answer questions from people around the world. Orlan describes her work as “Carnal Art” which she describes as “a self-portrait in the classical sense, yet realized through the technology of our time.”  If fine art is a visual medium, then Orlan herself is a walking exhibit.  Orlan embraces the technology of the time by undergoing these procedures but rejects everything they stand for.  Instead of making herself “pretty” by my standard she makes herself grossly disfigured. (info from NYU student blogs and Lotto the Movie blog)
 
 

Yes, those are lumps surgically implanted in her forehead.

 

The master himself. I suppose you either love or hate him.
I love him. 

Pablo Picasso
Owns
The Century


Comments

Sheryl Towers said…
Interesting...or goofy? Love you

Popular Posts