Arabian Nights



During the months of July and November;

Arizona or Saudi Arabia.... 

Where would you rather be? 
You can choose between blazingly hot and slightly less blazingly hot. 

I'll be in Saudi Arabia. So no matter what I choose, I can't escape the heat.

I'll be traveling there...on my flying rug! Maybe Abu will come too and keep me company?

I'm coincidentally reading the book Three Cups of Tea, which is an incredible read. Hurry to your local library or bookstore if you haven't read it yet. 

The book landed in my lap with perfect timing, as it discusses some of the lesser known issues Americans have while traveling and doing business in Islam controlled countries. 

I'm learning which of my personality traits will be appreciated, and which ones (my feistier, outspoken Western/American side) won't. 

I'm learning how the lack of peace in their region has effected Muslim culture and their dis-trust of outsiders. 

I wish I was following Dr. Greg's footsteps and going there to build schools for children.... 

Instead, I'll be in a classroom with my executives as they learn the fundamentals of global business, and sign the Thunderbird Oath of Honor. Atleast it'll be air conditioned.

I'm hoping to make a 4 or 5 day stop in Dubai after my 9 days in Jeddah. I L.O.V.E. the United Arab Emirates. I also have a friend, the beautiful Ariel, living there with her husband Chris. 

(Fingers crossed) My dear friends Naomi and Melinda will meet me there for a girls weekend in Dubai as well. So many wonderful things to look forward to!

I can't wait to absorb the culture of the Middle East, search out the most delicious food, soak in and appreciate everything this foreign culture has to teach me.  

I will not, however, be "absorbing the culture" like my friend John, who just returned from an epic journey through Egypt and surrounding countries...... 

Here is his definition of loving the locals:

Comments

Fascinating! Can't wait to hear about your adventures and I'll pick the book up this weekend!

Popular Posts