French Fútbol


I feel like it was yesterday that I was here,

being introduced to fútbol in the most unusual way. 

Olympic Marseille

We would leave Paris in the morning, fly to Marseille, go to the game, and fly back to Paris in the evening. I would be extra hopeful for a win, just so the hour flight "home" wouldn't be spent in silence with an airplane full of angry sports fanatics.

France

 Some afternoons, we would attend the team lunch with the managers. This was always a feast, and it was interesting to see how each player was preparing themselves for that evening's game. Some wore ipods through lunch, some spoke to no one, others were outgoing and friendly and played fútbol in the hallways of the country club when they were done eating. (little boys?)




Le Mans team country club team headquarters. Le Mans, France

If we were extra tired, we'd get a hotel for the day while our boss was in meetings. If I was lucky enough to get a room on the ocean, I'd crack the door and sleep the day away to the soundtrack of the surf. 




Marseille, France


With the World Cup underway, and Team USA is at the TOP for the first time since 1930, I can only imagine the hysteria at the stadium today.


I am personally embarrassed for the French team and the way they behaved after their final match. However, with Cisse on the team, controversy was inevitable. He is the Dennis Rodman of French fútbol. Always making a scene, creating a situation, speaking offensively to reporters. 

The entire team's refusal to practice was something totally unexpected and beyond the bounds of any unsportsmanlike conduct I could have expected from them during the Cup.


However, I don't want it to poison the memories I have of my time with them. 


It was incredible while it lasted. Thank you to my larger than life former boss for letting me ride on your whirlwind coat-tails for so long. It was quite a journey...



Comments

Ranteumptom said…
I haven't watched any professional-level games here in the US, but I don't imagine it can compare to watching them abroad. I went to some games in South Africa, and regardless of the fame/skill of the teams involved, they were all huge to-dos. Especially the game we watched in one of the World Cup stadiums. The atmosphere really draws you in, even if you didn't care for soccer to begin with.
Whitney said…
Amy I am SO jealous of your fab life...

Popular Posts