A Global Supper

Yesterday I presented for the first time to almost 100 Thunderbird students. They slowly trickled in the room for our noon meeting. I had nervous energy, not because they made me feel nervous...But the results from all the time and energy I've put in to this new program was about to be proven...Or not proven. 

All the decisions made, the emails sent, strategy settled, expectations mapped out, the recruiting accomplished.... the day had arrived.


 We now have a program at Thunderbird called "Global Suppers". When I host my corporate clients on campus, their curriculum typically will focus on another region of the world. If my client is looking to branch out in India, the curriculum might include several sessions on Indian culture, strategy, customs, or politics. 

To add to the authenticity of the training, I wanted to get Thunderbird students involved. We have so much international talent here at our fingertips. These students are professionals. They are cultured, intelligent, and business minded. Why not give them an opportunity to hob nob with some of the most successful business men and women from around the world?

Not that the free meal is the least of their cares....but it's another incentive. :)

One evening while clients are on campus, we host a Global Supper. If the cuisine is Latin American, as it will be this week, we recruit a number of Latin American students to not only represent Thunderbird, but to represent their home country.

They mix and mingle. Talk business. Talk religion. Talk politics. Talk families.... There is no topic off limits. However, not a networking event, my corporate clients are more than welcome to request for a student's information. And they DO. 

Success story of the week:
Indian Global Supper two weeks ago. When he first came to Thunderbird one year ago, an Indian student listed my corporate client as one of his "Top 5" companies to work for after he graduates.  He attends the Indian Global Supper. He represents himself, his country, Thunderbird well. He is well spoken, he knows the company inside and out. He knows about a merger that just happened that some employees haven't even heard about yet....  He gets a job offer at the end of the night. He would "be a perfect fit for our India office", says my client's representative.... Success and accomplishment all around.

I feel grateful to be in this position. I feel lucky that an aspect of my job can affect a person's future. Granted, it's totally up to these students how they use this opportunity, but I feel blessed to be involved at all. Meeting students from Kyrgyzstan, Turkey, China, Uruguay, India, Chile, Peru etc. yesterday, who were so thankful for this opportunity.... It was thrilling.


Happiness and success to me, is having the means and ability to improve the lives of others. 
This is just another stepping stone on the road I'm building for myself.... There is much to learn. Many ways to grow. thankful.grateful.humble.

Comments

Nicole said…
Wow, I love this. You make such a difference in so many lives. Mine included!
Anonymous said…
VERY COOL!!!

Popular Posts