from Naples to Ellis Island, on a ship called Algeria....

This is the announcement from my grandparent's wedding ceremony. There were so many details I didn't know....Some which I hope to incorporate in my own wedding. 

White orchids, pearls, breakfast at home with the new families... Sounds so beautiful. I also loved the write-up of my grandmother's "traveling outfit". I wish I had a photo of what she wore. Even better, I wish I had her outfit!

 Today I'm feeling grateful for my family in New York. I'm grateful for the Italian heritage that shaped who I have become. My commitment to my friends, a penchant for feeding friends a little too much food sometimes, my longing for loyal and rooted relationships, my love of the kitchen, the eternal love of my family. I'm grateful for my family's courage and desire for the best in life when they came here from Italy. 
 
I'm grateful that they passed on traditions and stories, so my generation might honor them by keeping these traditions alive. 



Angelina and Dante

Anne, Ida, Dante, Angelina

The cousins - my father is standing on the top row. His sister, Paula, on the right.

Italy and Austria's border has since changed, and what was then Austria, is now Italy

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is Em.

I can totally tell which one is your dad! It's funny because the old Croatian birth certificates say Austria and it was easier to get over with an Austrian passport, even when it wasn't Austrian anymore.

It's funny because can you imagine just switching citizenship!

Popular Posts