Parisian hot chocolate memories


Springtime in Paris. Sigh. I have a dramatic kind of love for this city.

The air has a slight chill, so layering is a must, but it's warm enough so one can wander through the city all day and not feel cold. 

I miss the sound of my high heeled boots walking down cobblestone streets. The smell of fresh bread and espresso beans. The outdoor markets. 

The taxi driver refusing to take me to Starbucks, saying their coffee was a joke, and that he would introduce me to a "real" cafe (he couldn't understand I wanted their souvenir mug, not their coffee!). 
The joie de vivre.

ridiculous macaroons
big puppy on the streets of Butte aux Cailles
The hot chocolate, Chocolat Africain at ANGELINA on the rue de Rivoli in Paris the most wonderful heavenly drink in the world. Served in a pitcher with tiny cups and a dollop of Chantilly cream. Nothing I've tasted since has ever come close to the rich, thick, melted chocolate bar in a cup at Angelina's. 

Give this recipe a try. You will swoon.

Angelina Paris Hot Chocolate

6 ounces fine-quality semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup water, room temperature
3 tablespoons hot water
3 cups rich (not reduced fat content)hot milk
Sugar to taste
Whipped cream, if desired

In double boiler over low heat, combine chocolate and 1/4 cup water until melted, stirring until smooth.

Remove top of double boiler pan from heat. Whisk in 3 tablespoons hot water. Divide among individual 4 mugs. Stir 3/4 cup hot milk into each mug. Add sugar and whipped cream to taste.

Makes 4 servings.

Or another (slightly more simple) version:
Combine:
3/4 cup whole milk 
1/4 cup heavy cream 
1 t. confectioners sugar 

Heat over med-high until bubbles appear around edges. 
Remove from heat and add 4 oz Omanhene bittersweet chocolate (72%) that's been chopped. Stir till melted (you may need to return it to low heat). 
Serve with whipped cream. 

Enjoy my beautiful friends!


Comments

Unknown said…
Mmmmmmmmmmmm! Dreamy! I will never forget my first (and only)cup of Angelina's hot chocolate!!!
Nicole said…
ACK! I'm making this asap.
Meagan said…
OK, this sounds delicious!! And am I jealous of you that you got to go to Paris? Maybe.

Popular Posts