the cat's meow - slang of the roaring 20's


In the Roaring Twenties things weren’t ‘cool’ like they are today – they were the ‘bee’s knees.’ 

I thought this 1920's verbiage was hilarious!! Amazing how language has changed so much in the last century.

via: Phoenix Magazine March 2011


All wet: erroneous

And how!: I strongly agree

Applesauce: expletive akin to “shucks”

Balled up: confused, messed up

Bank’s closed: no kissing, e.g. “Sorry buddy, the bank’s closed.”

Bearcat: hot-blooded or fiery girl

Beat one’s gums: chatter

Bee’s knees: something cool, terrific, e.g. “That’s the bee’s knees.”

Berries: something good, pleasing, e.g. “That’s the berries!”

Bluenose: a prude

Booboisie: the social class of “boobs,” or knuckleheads

Bum’s rush: getting kicked out of an establishment

Butt me: “Give me a cigarette.”

Cat’s meow/ cat’s pajamas: something cool, terrific, e.g. “That’s the cat’s meow.”

Cash or check?: Kiss now or later?

Don’t take any wooden nickels: Don’t do anything stupid

Fire extinguisher: chaperone

Flat Tire - a dumb, boring date; a.k.a. drag, oilcan, pill, pickle, rag

Get a wiggle on: get going

Giggle water: alcohol

Gin mill: bar

Handcuff: engagement ring

Hayburner: a gas-guzzling car

Hip to the jive: cool, trendy

Horsefeathers: expletive akin to “shucks”

Hotsy-totsy: cool, pleasing

Iron one’s shoelaces: go to the restroom

Juice joint: speakeasy

Mrs. Grundy: prig, prude

“Now you’re on the trolley!” - Now you’ve got it, now you’re right!

On the lam: fleeing the police

Spifflicated: drunk; also canned, corked, embalmed, fried to the hat, jazzed, lit, ossified, owled, plastered, potted, primed, scrooched, tanked, zozzled


Struggle buggy: back seat of a car, for romantic liaisons

You slay me: That’s funny
 

I really am going to try and use these words!  However, I've got to get a wiggle on. My man's waiting on me for a Thai restaurant date! It surely won't be a flat tire.


Comments

xoxo ~jill said…
I love this post!! Not only are the 1920's the bee's knees but this will be a hotsy-tosty link to send my friends along with my invite to my Juice Joint holiday party (I'm so excited that I'm planning early!). Thanks for a great article and blog!
Miss Amy said…
I'm impressed, Jill! Way to plan your holiday party so far in advance! I could learn a thing or two from you! ;) Enjoy your Juice Joint evening and thanks for stopping by.
Anonymous said…
how do i say happy b-day in 1920's slang

Popular Posts