earth week. give what you take.


Earth week is here! I don't make any claims to be a conservationalist, carry any membership cards to the World Wildlife Fund, or plant forests with my hands. I can't even get a garden to grow. :-/

I do recycle, save water, eat locally and organically. I even have hippies for parents. We grew up with worms in our kitchen. No really. Countertop composting, anyone?

Whatever your level of sensitivity towards conservation, it's important to do whatever you can do every single day. If that means you only remember to toss your coke can in the recycling bin vs. the trash can, it's better than nothing.

If you're living without electricity and subsist on rainwater collected in bamboo drums, congratulations, you're a weirdo. Kidding...I'm actually totally impressed that you can live with so little. Although, you probably won't be reading this blog. Computers = electricity.

The reason I used this Helen Keller quote, is that I truly believe that we do not have the right to take from the earth without giving back. 

Giving back could mean we choose to eat sustainably, plant sapling trees in the spring, compost our waste instead of throwing everything away, or donating money to an organization to do the nitty-gritty work for you.

We all share the little space called earth. Use it. Love it. Grow and nourish it. Remember to give back to it. 

Happy Earth Week

Comments

tiff and jay. said…
I love this!! Your words are so quirky and cute and so fun to read. I love that Helen Keller quote too, we should always be consciously thinking about about giving back!

Popular Posts