the New Afghan and American Relationship of gratitude?


I am privileged to work closely with our global emerging economies. 

i really do feel so blessed.

We will be welcoming a group of 10 men from Afghanistan to Thunderbird in the near future. 

image
They are young, all between the ages of 25 and 39 years old. They are entrepreneurs. Radio station owners. They are now the ones responsible for creating fair and balanced media in their fragile country. 

This is the first time they've been allowed free speech. They are making history. They are creating a world, a future, that does not allow hate speech, rumor based reporting, extremism. 

image

That is why they're coming to Thunderbird. To learn how to do this. 

I am reading the participant bio's right now, and a comment from one man made tears well up in my eyes. 

We asked him:  "Considering  you'll be visiting Washington, DC and Glendale, Arizona, please describe what aspects of American culture in these areas interests you in particular."

He answered: "My wish is to know more about American culture, history and tradition. This trip will give me the opportunity to know more about American society. The U.S. is our friend country, and has helped Afghanistan so much during the last 10 years. I don't have any personal experience in Washington, DC or Glendale, Arizona, but our whole impression about the United States of America is excellent. Thank you for it all. I want to share my knowledge and experience with employees, women, colleagues, back in Afghanistan. We will be able to improve our skills, tools and practices. We will succeed."

Our soldiers paid the ultimate sacrifice to give people like this man a voice. To give him his freedom for the first time ever. 

I am grateful that he is grateful. I am grateful that he understands what was given.

just a thought for today...


Comments

this made me teary eyed. when he said we will succeed. i almost lost it. i am grateful as well.
this is so wonderful. I admire the work you get to do.

Popular Posts