If your heart tells you to speak up, DO IT!



Disclaimer: Not gloating, bragging, showing off. Only sharing something I'll remember forever.




8:15pm tonight: my phone starts ringing and it scares me a little. I look at my caller ID and see a name I haven't seen in over a year.


A pilot I flew with regularly all over the world was calling. Random and unexpected.


I pick up the phone with a lot of surprise and happiness in my voice, both very real emotions in hearing from him!


He begins telling me that he's proud of me, that he respects me, that he admires me. 


(Inside my brain: whaaaat is going on right now?) 


You see, this man is a retired United States Air Force General. 


He got bored and started flying in corporate aviation for fun. I was the lucky recipient of his advice, travel stories, hilarious antics and father-figure care-taking for 2 years.


He tells me he's been thinking of me, and how proud he was of me that I took such a gigantic leap into the unknown when I left aviation for Thunderbird School of Global Management.


He says:  So what. I was in charge of 14,000 men and women. Big deal. I was comfortable. I knew what I was doing. I was in control. You on the other hand chose a life that was totally out of your comfort zone, and I wanted you to know how much I respect and admire your decision. You were always too good and smart to be doing what you were doing on the airplane. He went on...but I won't bore you with details.


I was floored, amazed, emotional, grateful, almost speechless. I did, of course, find the words to "respectfully disagree" with him though. Why do I have to be such a pain? 


Not really, of course. I just told him that he was pretty much on his 4th career by the time I met him. His entire life was devoted to excelling, exceeding expectations and pushing himself and others out of their comfort zones. 


I am forever grateful that this humble man listened to his gut when he thought of me tonight, picked up his phone, and told me his thoughts.


His honesty strengthened my resolve. My dedication to succeed and continue to live outside my comfort zone. It's only then that we truly learn and grow.


Late night ramblings....but I still thought they were important. :)


Happy Wednesday (in a few hours!) 

Comments

Louise said…
beautiful story, nothing beats a wonderful compliment from somebody we have so much respect for :)
Unknown said…
Enjoy his kind words and take them in as the truth. You are an amazing young woman Cousin Amy. I have found some people that are amazed I left what they see as a cushy county job to get out there again in Real Estate. You are an inspiration.

Popular Posts