5 Ways to Relax


I'm learning. Continually learning. I have learned what relaxes me, what brings me peace, what makes me happy. I haven't always known what worked for me. I used to think that if I was stressed, I needed to be with people. Surround myself with lots of people, distractions, busy-ness. This is what works for some people I know. NO. I have learned enough about myself, that I know this doesn't work for me. If I'm overwhelmed, I need to get away from all that. I go run or take a bath and read a book. Getting away from it all, whatever "it" may be, re-charges me. I know that now.

These are just 5 things I've learned to seek out if I'm feeling stressed or overwhelmed. What are yours?

1. Exploration. This happens a few different ways, like jumping in the car, driving to a new town or state to explore. Or grabbing my camera and focus on the up-close-and-personal side of a location I've been to a million times. On a bike ride around my neighborhood, I found these photos, for example. I've driven past this a million times, and have never even paid attention.

 



2. Going to bed earlier and waking up earlier. Discipline is tough at night! I'm learning to meet with friends earlier for dinner. Instead of a 8pm dinner, why not meet at 5 or 6? Happy hour sweetness! Power down my laptop, turn off the TV (that's what DVRs are for!), lower the volume on my annoying phone, etc. I run and workout in the morning now, which also makes an earlier bed-time more enjoyable. The threat of a 4:50am alarm does wonders to make your eyes heavy at night.

3. Taking a nap. Most of my life, I've felt supremely GUILTY taking naps! I would power through sleepy afternoons with caffeine or keeping busy. So unhealthy. Even if I'm at work, I can easily take my lunch hour and sleep for 30 minutes of it. Have you ever tried this? My workplace even endorses it. There is a dedicated room in one of our buildings where you can go for 30 minutes and relax however you choose. I was actually part of the team who designed and built it, and it was so amazing to have the support of our upper level executives. We put an ipod dock, 2 lounge chairs, a yoga mat, and access to relaxation techniques on wall placards. Most places don't have rooms like this, so I'm fully aware that napping may not be a possibility for you. In the past, I have been known to nap in my car after a particularly long night Hey, I went to college in Vegas. What can I say? Actually, looking at this picture makes me want to take a nap.


 4. Checking Facebook or Twitter. Seriously. If my brain is focused, I'm in my zone, found my "flow" (flow is where time stands still. I'm not hungry, thirsty, distracted. Just working at my most productive and efficient pace) I definitely DON'T check facebook or twitter. BUT, I have to take a break every once and a while - let my brain decompress after being so focused. Some people may not choose facebook or twitter, per say, but they may call a friend, or check the news, distract themselves somehow. I've found that this makes me feel less stressed. It lets my brain regroup, take a break, and then I get back to work.

5. Declutter your world, declutter your mind. I take just take 5 minutes to declutter my workspace or the room I'm in. A decluttered, simplified and ordered space around you brings clarity and order to the mind. So don’t stop at the workspace or the room you are in. Declutter, simplify and organize your home and life too to live in a more relaxing environment.

Hope this helps - I love lists - that's another thing that helps me relax. Maybe it's the logic of it all, maybe it's feeling like I can check things off lists. Whatever it is that helps you relax, get a little peace in your life, find it and do it!

Comments

oh my goodness! You read my mind! All these points are right on with my new way of thinking. Although, I still have a hard time napping. But I definitely agree on de-cluttering. It's so important. Clear space means clear mind. And ditto on exploring...how do you move forward without a little discovery once in a while. :)
Courtney B said…
Going to bed early makes all the difference in the world! Our bed time us between 9-9:30. It makes us sound old and lame but hey! It works :)
Isobel Masters said…
Thanks for the GREAT advice... and beautiful pictures :)
love this, always need some stress advice :)
Elle Sees said…
Oh I am a big list maker too. I wish I was a napper. If I do, i can't sleep at night. But that's greatbyou have access to it.
Meggan said…
Love this list! As a perpetual stress ball when it comes to work I totally needed this! A great reminder to just disconnect. I love to explore as well...one of my favorite things to do in a new town is just get lost...you find some amazing things when you do! Have a great day love!
Debbie said…
i am just like you... thought i loved to be around lots of people, nope. i also get up at 4:45. i could go on but i will just say i agree with your list of 5, i am sure there are many more things:)
I am the nap queen! Seriously, even 20 minutes of having my head on a pillow does wonders for me. Great list.

Popular Posts