DIY Massage Techniques for Runners

I.am.so.sore today!!! Long run, followed by lunges carrying 30 lb weights? ooooh feel the burn baby.

Thanks Fitbie for your awesome post for runners! I'm excited to try all these massages after a long run. 

I wish sometimes I had a personal masseuse living in-house with me at my beckon call.... Or a man to do it for me. Either one works. 


Have a great weekend! :)


Self-massage is an effective way to ease muscle tension after an intense workout. The pressure used releases knots, says Leslie Goldblatt Denunzio, a Brooklyn-based sports massage therapist. And the stroking and circular movements stimulate blood flow and flush excess waste from the muscles. "Self-massage is an important part of training that can help you prepare for, and recover from, big races," she says. Make a few slow passes over each area. If you find tender spots, gently hold the pressure for several seconds.




Sit on the floor, bend one knee, and relax that hamstring. Use both hands, fingers pointing toward each other, and make small circles working down from the top of the hamstring to the base. Repeat on the opposite leg.


Sit in a chair and place your forearm at the crease of your thigh and hip. Lean forward, press into leg, and slowly glide forearm into muscle, working toward the knee. (You can also try this using both fists.) Repeat on the opposite side.


Place one foot on a chair. Glide the heel of one hand up the muscle. Next, glide both fists up from ankle to knee. After a few passes, squeeze the calf with your thumbs, and then make small circles. Repeat on the opposite leg.


Place a small bounce ball under one heel. Stand and sink your body weight onto the ball. Slowly roll the ball from the heel to the base of the toes, spreading toes wide when the ball passes near. Repeat on the opposite foot.

Comments

navy and orange said…
thanks for the pointers!

xoxo navy & orange
Courtney B said…
I am so with you on this!! I wish I had a personal masseuse with me at all times :)
Thanks for the pointers, I'll definitely be using these!
Elle Sees said…
ive friends who run, so i'll let them know!
Mrs. Pancakes said…
these look awesome..have to try i especially the last one..my foot always kils!
bb said…
Haha I love the title/theme/description behind your blog. What great posts!

x. jill
those ghosts
ooh! Will definitely have to try some of these out... thanks!

Popular Posts