Cultural Faux Pas in New York City





I absolutely love this article. I especially love the description they give of WHY New Yorkers have such an intense need and desire for personal space and privacy. 


I grew up in New York state (Rochester) and we did not have the same intense fight for personal space, but I do understand it. I am a lover of privacy, a constant seeker of personal space and borderline anonymity. 


Contradictory to the purpose of a blog, but even now, I'm sharing at will.


I love my fellow New Yorkers for the understanding of mutual respect. You do what you do. I'll do what I do. No judgements, no unnecessary conversation about it. Just do your thing. 


What I don't love about New York is the lack of connection to a community in an emotional sense. I appreciate the 'raised by a village' way. I love feeling emotionally connected to people because they share where they came from, who they are now, what they hope for, dream about. Like, it's ok to high five or talk to a stranger's child without fear of being yelled at by an overprotective NY tiger mom. New Yorkers don't do emotional community. They just do their thing. I respect it - but couldn't be that way in my own life and be happy for long. I'd feel isolated and afraid of offending everyone' s little personal bubble.


Anyway... check out the article. Awesome tips for tourists and also maybe a few reality checks for my fellow busy New Yorkers! ;) 

Comments

Taylor Morgan said…
lol love this! although I don't agree with what you said about community. I actually have been so impressed how much I have felt a sense of community in NYC than in LA or Austin. People are more personal here and while they may seem stand offish at first they really do LOVE to talk. I think everyones love for the city binds everyone and people will support anything going on in the city/community. thanks for sharing this!
Miss Amy said…
I agree - there is a support and a community. But it's a community that only develops after an amount of time. It's very easy to get lost in the shuffle of upset people!! I think you're very fortunate to have found a sense of community so quickly. I think the sense of community is felt LESS if you're single, too. Being married, having church, school, etc. Those are all really great places for you to meet people looking for a sense of community just like you! :)
I think the issue of community comes up almost every where. I've lived in Fiji, where apparently, we're very communal but I've felt more of a community here in Canberra. But I do think it's always important to know some of the dos and don'ts before traveling to a new place and that article was great for that! Thanks for sharing Amy <3
Thanks for the tip! As a NYer, will definitely check it out!

Popular Posts