Healthy Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp



New iPhone camera shot :)


I don't know what got into me tonight. I cooked for one. Me. That's it. Not only did I cook for one, I de-veined and cleaned raw shrimp. Oh my good gracious. I almost became a vegetarian after tonight.


If you've never cleaned/de-veined shrimp, it's horrible. disgusting. smelly. 


I will pay for convenience next time -- or a man to do the dirty work! Ick! So anyway -- I made it past that part, and quickly filled my kitchen with the delicious smells of sautéeing garlic, scallions and red thai curry paste. Mmm!


Red Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp

Ingredients:  

  • Pam cooking spray
  • 2 scallions, whites and greens separated, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp Thai red curry paste
  • 1 1/2 cloves garlic, minced (but only because I love garlic)
  • 1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined (bleh!!)
  • 6 oz light coconut milk (I used a "splash" -- I'm guessing 1/4 cup)
  • 1 tsp fish sauce (Didn't have any. I used 2 tsp low sodium soy sauce. works fine!)
  •  fresh cilantro to taste, chopped

Directions:

    Heat a large nonstick skillet on medium-high. Add scallion whites and red curry paste and sauté one minute. Add shrimp and garlic and cook about 2-3 minutes. Add coconut milk, fish sauce (soy sauce) and mix well. Simmer about 2-3 minutes, until shrimp is cooked through. Remove from heat, mix in scallion greens and cilantro. Serve over rice and enjoy. 

    I skipped the rice and strained the shrimp from the sauce, eating just the shrimp. There is totally enough flavor on the shrimp after cooking without eating more of the coconut milk sauce. Of course, if you eat it over rice, pour the sauce all over the rice!

    Bon Appetite! 


    Comments

    Goodness Amy you've got me craving Thai now!
    Kyla said…
    Even though I'm allergic to shrimp, I know some friends who would definitely enjoy this recipe!
    Jamie said…
    I'm going to try this tonight!!! Woohoo :-) Had one of your salads last night for dinner...hubby requested that we have it again. Nice!
    I love shrimp! Unfortunately, my bf does not. So I rarely cook it since I have a hard time with portioning for one. But I just have to try this...cannot resist.
    renee said…
    OMG, This recipe sound fab! I've been telling my roommates that we all need to slow down a bit and have a relaxing evening with a home cooked meal and a bottle of wine-- I'll definitely keep this recipe in mind for a night like that :)

    Popular Posts