Material Girl

Everything you own should have value, either because it’s functional or beautiful or you just love it.
Peter Walsh

Last night S. says "Let's go to Lululemon. You need new workout clothes."  He's right. I do. Mine are tattered and old. Well, maybe not tattered...but old and stretched out and ill-fitting...


Problem is - I'm grouchy. Tired. Hungry. I don't like shopping on a good day, and this was a FAT DAY to top it off!! Phew. Poor S. didn't know what he was getting into. He's so patient and intuitive... He knew very quickly that I needed to just work through this little blip. I don't get moody that often. i don't think...?


After a filling meal of amazing happy hour sushi at Stingray, we walk into Lulu. S. starts pointing out tops, bottoms, and sports bras that would fit best, work well with running, etc. 

I'm pouting. Squeezing into spandex in a badly lit store is the last thing on my to-do list for the night. 


The perky, happy, helpful employee writes my name on the dressing room chalkboard. Seeing my name written down in girly cursive, I am now suddenly feeling committed a dressing room full of expensive stretchy fabric.


Not my butt. Lululemon Speed Shorts
So...I try on the first pair of shorts. No way - not even stepping out of the dressing room to show S. Why do I feel so gross? Why do women beat themselves up so much sometimes?


Second pair of shorts. These are a little less tight, but still short! Admittedly, I love them. they are perfect for running. But WHY does Lulu have such horrible lighting?! Or maybe I am just hormonal. But I feel gross in them. S's eyes light up. "Those look amazing on you. Seriously - you have to get those". I grimace and pout. Tell him I feel huge. the sales girl and S. trade looks of disbelief and the rolling eyes commence. Yes, I'm definitely hormonal, because now that just makes me mad. He's not agreeing with me that I look huge. (what is my problem??)

So, I agree to one pair of shorts (loose shorts) and a pair of cropped running pants (which I LOVE).

Cool back zipper pocket for keys etc

I say no to the sports bra. It's too expensive. I can find cheaper at Nordstroms Rack, I say.


S. looks at me like I'm crazy. "I have never had to fight so much with a woman to buy her things. I pick out 5 things, we leave with 2. I'm trying to convince you to spend my money?"

And I'm wondering how this is a bad thing?

I quickly realize I need to snap out of it. Temporarily hormonally imbalanced or not - no excuse not to be grateful and happy. I have been blessed with so much... Realizing that is just the first step of showing gratitude. Actions come next. Commence big hugs and kisses... so sappy. I know. 


So who wants to run with me now?!



Comments

M. said…
ha ha. We REALLY are the same. I've had a few conversations like that with M. Although, you are super tiny... I hate when you feel disgusting though, can't get around that at certain times. Enjoy lulu!! xx
S said…
What a great story Amy. Pretty accurate, but lacks the facial expressions, pouty lips and shrugging shoulders. It was all worth it though. You look amazing and I am glad you are NOW happy with your new workout clothes.
I did learn something and when we shop again, I will pay more attention.
You look Amazing babe. XOXO

Popular Posts