Traveling to Afghanistan



Boss: "Your travel has been approved. You're going to Afghanistan in May!"

Me: "WOW. Thank you for the great news. What the heck am I going to wear?"


So, I'm going on a business trip to Afghanistan. My business is not normal, I suppose. Thunderbird School of Global Management has a 10,000 Women program running at the American University of Afghanistan in Kabul. These incredible women are graduating on May 10th! 


My colleague who has essentially built and oversaw this program through to success was lobbying to be there, and I am the lucky one to be her travel buddy. Now... I suppose I'm not a total tag-along... I will be responsible for quite a few aspects of Afghan programs on our campus moving forward, so it will be extremely helpful for me to meet all the key players in person, see how things work in-country, and experience the traditions and cultures of my future "clients". 


I am beyond thrilled! The news of violence in the city over the weekend was soothed by an email I received today:


"Everyone is fine in 10,000 Women after the insurgent attacks today throughout the city.  When we heard about the attacks (and quite honestly heard the guns at the parliament building) we spoke to the class, told them we would keep them posted, and class continued.  Our teachers were incredible, staying through the end and keeping the women calm and focused.

All is quiet now.  We have 12 women bunking down in the dorms and tomorrow they will be able to return to the guesthouses and homes.  Our main focus was safety, of course.  Our staff was WONDERFUL. One is taking care of the women in the dorm and is calling everyone who left with family  (another took 4 women home) and has just informed me that all is counted, home safe and sound.

We want to emphasize that this should in no way spook you ladies from coming to Kabul.  Yes, these things happen, but we have security procedures in place and we will ensure that both of you are will be at all times secure."

I am so grateful for the experience I'll have here. The people I'll meet and re-connect with. And of course, I have figured out my Afghan summer wardrobe (lots of maxi dresses that are not form fitting and cover the ankles. Great summer wear once I get home too). 

The Embassy will be hosting us at a "fire pit" party to welcome us to Kabul! I wonder if we'll have s'mores? Maybe I should bring the ingredients?! 

We'll also have several reunions of Thunderbird alumni and Project Artemis participants. It will be a busy and amazing 10 days!


We also found out that we'll be heading to Bamiyan.

If this sounds familiar, it may be because of the Buddhas of Bamiyan. The Taliban  destroyed these former "Wonders of the World" 10 years ago. 


However, their silhouettes carved out of the mountainside are still there. Absolutely incredible... I will have plenty of photos to share soon!

Keep us in your thoughts and prayers. :) 

Afghanistan, here we come!


Comments

I cannot wait to hear about this adventure! will be praying it goes well.

xo
Unknown said…
wow, that is so cool!!! :) i guess you will have to wear culturally appropriate clothing out in public? what a cool experience that would be, to go all out and cover yourself...they wouldn't be able to tell you were a foreigner until you speak :P

my parents are from Honduras, but I was born here. So i consider myself Honduran-Canadian. that is so cool that your companion is bringing women from Latin America for 2 week to the USA. what kinds of businesses do they run?? do you know if any are from Honduras?? :)
Wow! Have a safe and wonderful trip. Can't wait to hear your stories!
Katherine said…
that does sound amazing - what a wonderful job to be able to travel like that and to such an amazing place (i mean the thunderbird school with their program - that's great!)

good luck - enjoy it and be careful!

Popular Posts