TEDx Phoenix Change

"We'd like you to speak about Positive Disruption. In 2 weeks."

Steve not very happy that he had to hold the "x". Hahaha. Goof!

This is what I heard on the other end of my telephone line about a month ago. My jaw dropped, my heart skipped a beat, my stomach turned. 

I'll back up one year. I was at TEDx Manhattan Beach with Steve. Remember that day when he told me to pack my bags, that he had bought me a ticket to California and we were going to a TED talk about empowering women? 

So... me being me during the question and answer session, I had a lot to say about the women I work with, how their lives truly change once they feel empowered and begin to trust in their own abilities. There were some people in the audience making these generalized, sweeping statements about women in Afghanistan and how "no women are able to conduct business" etc. etc.... I was appalled. Especially since I had just returned from Afghanistan and had physically witnessed many courageous, intelligent, tenacious women entrepreneurs succeeding in business!

So.... I had to speak up at the TED talk. Then, the oddest thing happened: The audience started asking me questions. Afterwards, I had a line of people who wanted to talk to me and learn more about what I do, what the women I work with are like. I was absolutely astounded by the lack of factual information out there about a women's ability to successfully run a business in emerging economies.

Long story short, the organizer of the event said he thought I should give a TED talk in Phoenix, and he was going to introduce me to the organizers here locally.... I shrugged my shoulders, said "sure, why not". I have a bad habit of not believing people will do something until I actually see it done. He did introduce me to the organizers....but I didn't hear anything back from them. Sigh... I knew it wouldn't work out.

But then a month ago my phone rang. And everything changed.

I gave my TEDx talk in front of a crowd of about 250 people at the gorgeous Tempe Historical Museum. The room had high ceilings and glass windows. As I stood on the stage during our practice, I felt calm and confident. Not what I expected to feel. 

It was clear in my head that I was only telling stories. Moments, impressions, details of experiences that have changed me forever. As I clicked through my PowerPoint slide show of photos, each woman's face beamed with a smile, and I felt like they were with me. I felt like I was telling their story for them. A story of courage, of strength, of success. My friends from Pakistan, Haiti and Afghanistan were right there with me on stage. I felt their strength.



Once the talk goes live on the TED site, I'll share the video. For now, here are a few silly pictures my family and friends took. I'm so grateful for their support, for their hours of listening and critiquing my practice sessions, whiteboard sessions, and stress semi-meldowns! I love you!



Comments

Sheryl Towers said…
When will it go Ted Live? Can't wait! Amazing!
Kyla said…
Wow, congratulations on speaking at TED! I can't wait to watch the video! :)
Anonymous said…
I teared up. Love you so much. *hugs
LeeLee said…
That's so great. Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing the TED video.

Popular Posts